Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Entry 1: Anticipatory Entry




The book I have chosen to read is Tina Fey’s memoir, Bossypants. Tina Fey is a well known comedian, acting in shows and movies such as Mean Girls, 30 Rock, and Megamind. I have also seen her on Saturday Night Live skits as Sarah Palin. Because we are currently reading a slightly depressing memoir I wanted to read something funny, and a novel written by Tina Fey is guaranteed to contain a lot of laughs. What really sold me though, were the blurbs on the back. For example,  “Absolutely delicious!” – A guy who eats books, or, “Do not publish this glowing recommendation of Tina Fey’s book until I’ve been dead a hundred years,” – Mark Twain.”  
Another thing that I like about Tina Fey is that she is a strong woman and is very successful in the world of political satire, which is a business dominated by men. She is a feminist, but does not take herself or what she stands for too seriously. Tina Fey is a person I admire because she is not afraid to take risks. Saturday Night Live is a show that discusses a lot of controversial issues going on in the world today, and on this show Mrs. Fey uses comedy to speak her mind, no matter how other people might react, which is a quality I find appealing.
Tina Fey wrote the script for the movie Mean Girls, a movie about fitting in in high school, which other girls and I can relate to. In her memoir Bossypants, Ms. Fey talks a lot about her youth and gives advice on the ups and downs of growing up, so I am hoping I can gain some valuable knowledge from reading her humorous recollections. Lastly, Tina Fey is someone I would like to get to know, and I expect that reading her memoir will provide me with information on her childhood, and how she got to where she is today.
Word count-323

No comments:

Post a Comment