Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Entry 6: Final Reflection



               As I expected, Tina Fey’s memoir Bossypants was a very funny book. I enjoyed it because Ms. Fey was able to laugh at herself and make her life story into a hilarious read. I loved reading this book mainly because in her writing, Tina Fey does not take herself too seriously. An example of this is in one of my favorite chapters, Dear Internet. In this chapter Ms. Fey responds to comments made about her on the internet. To the rude comment “Tina Fey is an ugly, pear shaped, bitchy, overrated troll” (164), she responds “To say that I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair” (164). Most people would have been very offended by this but Ms. Fey was able to make it into something entertaining. Moments like these are why I liked reading this book so much.
                Another reason why I like this memoir was because one of its major themes is feminism. The way that Ms. Fey handles such a busy job and still is able to keep up with her family life is quite inspiring, but she admits that she is not perfect: “How do you juggle it all? People constantly ask me, with an accusatory look in their eyes your fucking it all up their eyes say” (256). Tina Fey’s memoir was particularly enjoyable to me because she showed the reader who she really was and did not try to make herself seem flawless.
                Other Memoirs I have read are Maus and the Glass Castle. These two memoirs are very different from Bossypants. The biggest difference is that the authors of Maus and the Glass Castle wrote about their lives from harshly realistic perspectives while Tina Fey wrote about hers from a softer one. Out of all the memoirs I have read I think I enjoyed Bossypants the most because it made me laugh not cry.
Word count- 320

No comments:

Post a Comment