Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Entry 5: Connections



The work I have chosen to compare to Tina Fey’s memoir, Bossypants, is the cartoon intro to the movie The Beautician and the Beast. In this intro, a prince finds a princess asleep in a forest. He kisses her, she wakes up, and he proposes, but, unlike the typical fairytale, she is strongly opposed to the idea of marrying him. She argues that they just met and that she is too young to be married, before running away into the forest shouting, “I have dreams, I have goals, I have ambitions.” This cartoon reminds me of Bossypants for two reasons. One is that they share a similar theme, feminism, and the second is that the princess in The Beautician and the Beast reminds me of Tina Fey.
                Feminism is a major theme in both Bossypants and the intro to The Beautician and the Beast. The princess in The Beautician and the Beast challenges the idea that a girl needs a prince to be happy, and, in a way, so does Tina Fey. Ms. Fey is very involved in her family life, but she also puts a lot of time into her career. Her husband respects her and does not expect her to spend her life doing housework and taking care of the children. In Ms. Fey’s opinion, one of the rudest things someone can ask a women is “How do you juggle it all?” (256). This is because they are implying that they do not believe that someone can raise a family and still have an important and demanding career.
                The reason that the princess in the intro to The Beautician and the Beast reminds me of Tina Fey is because she shouted “I have dreams, I have goals, I have ambitions.” This reminds me of Ms. Fey because throughout her life she was always working towards her goals. She never feels like she has reached the top because there is always something more she can do. For example, after working on Saturday Night Live for a while Ms. Fey decided that “I was in my eight season of Saturday Night Live, it was time to figure out what the next phase of my life would be” (169). She does not need a prince to make her happy because she has her dream job, being a comedian.
Word count- 387
               

The Beautician And The Beast opening animated... by gebmale

1 comment: